Logo and Artwork of Nacht der Forschung | Mannheim
Logo and artwork are Copyright © 2018 EMBL
Logo and artwork are available under a CC BY NC ND license.
EMBL hereby acknowledges Gisela Luz Machado for her support in contributing to this work.
The story behind the artwork
This artwork aims to invite the whole Heidelberg city to get involved with the night of science. The town is depicted in a boiling flask (1), being the iconic landscape elements replaced by scientific concepts and objects easily identifiable by the general public. Sitting on the flask is a young person (2) in a relaxed position, enjoying the night of science and bringing out the friendly, fresh and dynamic character of the event. The bar chart represents the Heidelberg castle (3) and next to it there’s a simple interpretation of EMBL’s Advanced Training Centre building (4), topped by a benzene ring with the same shape as EMBL’s hexagonal logo and a recognisable shape of chemistry (5). On the right, two upside-down funnels picture Heidelberg’s mountains (6) and uniting the two margins of the river, there’s a DNA chain, indicating the city old bridge (7). Below, a water molecule represents the river (8), and the Fibonacci spiral (9) illustrates both the mathematical concept and the shape of a snail. The elements that place the event at night time are the stars constellations (10) and the planet (11) in the sky, as well as the indigo colour that unifies the whole artwork.
Use of EMBL artwork and logo of Nacht der Forschung Heidelberg | Mannheim 2018 and 2019 denotes agreement with the following terms:
- EMBL provides the image free of charge for educational and informational use.
- The image is provided “as-is” and the user shall hold EMBL free and harmless in connection with its use.
- EMBL is to be credited as the source of the image.
- EMBL retains copyright in the image. Download and use of the image does not amount to a transfer of intellectual property.
- The image may not be used in a misleading, inappropriate or offensive manner, in a military context, in advertising or promotion, or in a manner that suggests any kind of endorsement by EMBL or its personnel.
- The image may not be sold, distributed or otherwise made available for use by third parties.
- The EMBL artwork and logo of Nacht der Forschung Heidelberg | Mannheim 2018 and 2019 logo is legally protected. EMBL’s prior written approval shall be obtained for its use or for the use of any image primarily featuring the logo.
- EMBL reserves the right to alter or delete images without notice.
Please contact EMBL if you have any questions or comments with respect to the EMBL artwork and logo of Nacht der Forschung Heidelberg | Mannheim 2018 and 2019, if you are unsure whether your intended use meets these terms; or, if you seek permission for use of the EMBL artwork and logo of Nacht der Forschung Heidelberg | Mannheim 2018 and 2019 or any other use that does not fall within these terms.
EMBL appreciates your interest in its work.
Please report any copyright abuse to EMBL.